?

Log in

No account? Create an account

December 15th, 2009

I Crush Everything

Snake crackle and pop

My sewing machine's speed controller pedal just blew up. It was merrily purring and clattering away, when suddenly - bang! My foot was wreathed in a small cloud of smoke. Luckily it's sufficiently ancient that there are no complicated irreparable electronics inside. All that has happened is a big suppression capacitor exploded (one end is no longer attached to the body).

Until this minor setback I was making good progress with the door-snake making. I've filled the first inner snake with sand and stitched the end together, and made a test piece from scrap to experiment with the techniques I'm going to use to make the outer skins.



That is not one of the outer fabrics I'll be using. When I make the first real outer skin I'm going to try to round the ends more, and maybe stitch the tongue into the opposite end to the end that opens when you want to remove the inner for washing.
Tags:
Working on it

One down

I've got the first door snake finished:


The red fabric on his top half is the one I was least sure would look good on a door snake - I used it first in case I made such a mess of it that I had to throw it away. I had planned to use it for the snake's underbelly with the gold patterned fabric on top, but after sewing him together and stuffing him I thought the red fabric actually worked better on top, particularly when combined with the contrasting green eyes.

The hardest part was hand stitching his arsehole the curved opening at the bottom where it's held closed with a press-stud so that when it gets dirty you can remove the inner sandbag and bung the cover in the washing machine.

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. One thing I might change on the next one is to mix the sand filler with something less dense, like wood shavings or polystyrene beads.
Tags: