April 22nd, 2009

Working on it

Minor update

Forgive me Father, for it has been nearly two months since my last Minor Update. I've spent that time working very hard indeed, and this is what Lintilla looked like earlier this evening:

Lintilla with new inner wing

Though not visible in the photo, the front panel, bumper, and outer wing are all painted and ready to bolt on tomorrow night. I took today off work to sort out the brakes and get her rolling again. Completion is so close now that I'm planning to phone the garage tomorrow morning and try to book her in for an MOT test on Monday (because she was written off, the insurance company wants to see a fresh MOT before they will re-instate fully comprehensive cover). [ETA: booked for 14:30 Monday]

A strange and rather worrying glitch I ran into today is that I discovered one of the front hubs has a potentially dangerous manufacturing fault. Wheels fitted to it don't align perfectly on the studs. At minimum I would expect this to cause vibration at speed (which indeed she does at > 60MPH). Worst case it could cause the studs to weaken and shear off while cornering hard! Quite how nobody (myself included) has previously noticed this problem in the 38 or so years the car has been on the road I've no idea. Luckily I already have a couple of spare hubs from a scrap Wolseley 1500, so I'll fit new bearings to one and swap it over this weekend.