June 15th, 2008

Working on it

Minor update

Good news:
  • I managed to find the time this afternoon to finish dismantling Lintilla's front suspension.
  • The threads on the left hand swivel pin are fine. In fact I had a closer look at the right hand one and came to the conclusion that the threads on both of them are hardly worn (and not rusty at all). A good clean, new dust seals, and regular greasing should see them last a long time yet.
  • The left-hand crossmember end, while far from perfect, looks easily strong enough that the torsion bar isn't in imminent danger of ripping a hole through the floor and piercing the passenger's posterior. I'm just going to put a small patch on it, repair the floor above it, then leave it alone until I'm ready to replace the sills.
  • The front brake cylinders and flexihoses look to be good enough to reuse after a bit of a clean (unlike the fixed pipes, several of which snapped when I tried to undo them).
  • I don't think the steering rack gaiters need replacing quite yet (this is good news because I really hate doing that job).

Not so good news:
  • I managed to break yet another nice nearly-new fluorescent inspection lamp, this time by dropping a torsion bar on it and smashing the tube inside (replacement tubes aren't available for them AFAIK). I really need to get hold of some more of those professional quality 12V inspection lamps with the clumsy-mechanic-resistant steel and rubber casing.
  • The left-hand eyebolt is noticeably worn at the top. I think the car must have been driven for a long time after the rubber bush between the pin and the hole disintegrated. Considering the hole doesn't tend to wear at all on the bottom, I'm going to turn the eyebolt upside down if I can to give it a second lease of life.