October 10th, 2007

Working on it

Fenchurch is still poorly

I ran into some problems yesterday night so wasn't able to finish putting Fenchurch's engine back together until tonight. Unfortunately it was immediately obvious after starting it up that the new gasket had not sealed properly - bubbles fizzing out of one side, rough clattery idle, coolant leaking out from under a head nut, and emulsified oil in the radiator.

I'm going to take the head off again tomorrow and have it professionally tested by an engineering firm. I've also found out that there is a better quality head gasket available than the ones I've been using (if I'd known earlier I would have bought one because they're only a couple of quid more), so I'm going to try using one of those. I may need to buy a new torque wrench too because I have reason to be suspect it may not be clicking over at the correct torque.