- Fixed the loose fan belt tensioner bracket (drilled and tapped the stripped hole in the dynamo front plate to take a larger bolt).
- Bought and fitted a shorter fanbelt (it was right on the limit of the tensioner).
- Put a spare fuel pump on (it was ticking too often, indicating a worn/leaky inlet valve).
- Cut/knocked off the worst bits of rotten outer bodywork and covered the sharp edges with gaffer tape.
- Replaced the weeping thermostat cover gasket.
- Fitted a passenger-side door mirror.
- Fitted halogen headlights.
- Fitted an air horn (the old horn didn't work at all).
- Replaced the knackered front seat base diaphragms with straps.
- Reassembled and fitted the heater.
- Cleaned up the sill covers and finishers a bit.
- Had the front drums skimmed.
- Adjusted all the brakes.
- Greased the trunnions.
- Rotated the wheels.
- Sourced a new passenger-side quarterlight hinge.
- Cut out the rotten section of floor under passenger's feet, made a repair panel (complete with the correct indentations), and welded it in.
- Cut out the rotten area of driver's side floor/inner sill/wheel arch.
There are a lot fewer holes in the passenger-side floor now (the fountain effect when splashing through deep puddles was quite spectacular), but there is a really big hole to the right of the driver's feet. It looks like a bit of a tricky repair, unfortunately. I'm about to place an order for more welding wire and gas... :)
The plan this week is to finish the welding, refit the front seats and the sill covers/finishers, get the tracking adjusted and the wheels balanced at a local garage, get the radio working again, grease the prop shaft and handbrake cables, then drive her to Birmingham on Friday to attend the Discworld Convention. If I get time I might take a look at the speedometer too (it was whining a bit and the odometer doesn't work).
Next week (after I get back on Tuesday) I need to give both cars a full service, fit and calibrate the in-car compasses, and fit cigarette lighter sockets for phone chargers, sat-navs, etc. I could do with trying to fix Fenchurch's speedo too (the needle is sticking again).
I'm probably not going to have time to fit either an instrument panel or a better stereo/speakers in Lintilla. I might just manage to put the glovebox liners back in.